The modern Braces (Uk English) or Suspenders (American English or Canadian English) were first invented in 1822 by Albert Thurston, since then they have been in and out of fashion over the last two centuries. I have noticed they are stretching their presence once again on fashion conscious celebrities. Have braces weathered the unsavoury associated storm of the Eighties to shine through in 2012 / 2013 as an on-trend “boardroom-chic” accessory?
Braces Or Suspenders?
Here in the United Kingdom men put on braces to hold up their own trousers, suspenders are a belt used to hold up ladies’ tights. To our friends from the United States they are a means of avoiding men’s pants from slipping down. Are you confused, I am.
How Do You Wear Braces
The latest materials used for braces are very exciting for the fashion adventurous this 2013:
- The Black grosgrain (non-stretch) braces with brass hardware and embossed leather fittings are very appealing. The elastic with character images are always a hit.
- Attach braces to jeans opposed to trousers. The image they still present is an element of middle to upper class.
- If you were to only own one pair, then go for the manufacturers like Albert Thurston. They also create, braces that are made to attach to trousers by buttons only.
- If you want to be remembered in interviews right now then embrace the brace.
- The One Direction band members wear loads of braces and in many colours.
- In the last James Bond movie Craig certainly stirred the room with his white braces outfit. If it’s good enough for Daniel Craig, then it’s good enough for you.
- Casual looks can be accessorised with pork pie hats, skinny ties, and even skinnier braces.
- You can find fabulous vintage braces on eBay, Amazon, Topshop, Asos and vintage shops.
If you want to stand out from the norm it takes a real fashion guru to wear braces and make sure you wear them with macho attitude.
Who says braces are uncool
Iceberg 2013 men’s braces / suspenders
G-Star Raw, loving this.
They look great with skinny jeans
One Direction embraces the braces
Vintage and leather braces are the way to go.