A squat rack is often considered a central item of a gym and workout space. It offers excellent versatility and is helpful for both elite and amateur weightlifting trainers.
However, many users might find a power rack as a much more suitable option. While it is used for a different purpose, it has its own benefits, which makes some people choose this rack over a squat one.
But which one should you get and why? Read the article below to put an end to these questions. We have sorted everything you need to know, from their differences to their benefits, before you select a rack.
Squat Rack In Detail
Firstly, let’s look at a squat rack in detail. Also referred to as a squat stand at times, this equipment seems pretty simple yet can be customised with J-cups to meet your requirements.
A well-designed squat rack has a pull-up bar. The bar is as long as the width of the frame and hence can be used by both bulky and skinny individuals.
When compared to a power rack, the squat rack is pretty compact. Moreover, it is perfect for small areas with limited floor space.
Benefits of Buying a Squat Rack
Here are a few reasons why you should get a squat rack:
- This equipment is ideal for Olympic weightlifting workouts. Moreover, most CrossFit exercises include frequent re-racking of weights, and if your focus is on such movements, a squat rack would be your best deal.
- Most squat racks have extra bars and a broad base. These features provide additional support and safety for all users. If you use heavy loads most of the time, this factor will help you make a correct decision.
- If you want to set a rack in your home, a squat rack is an excellent option because of its low price. Moreover, since it comes with more minor parts, there is no complicated assembling involved.
- Most squat racks come with a high weight capacity as compared to stands. However, to make a wise decision, always check the limitation before buying a rack. Make sure the minimum weight limit is 1000 pounds.
Power Rack In Detail
Simply put, a power rack is like a squat cage that surrounds you with many metal bars. While it is very similar to a squat rack, a power rack has more parts and has a design similar to a metal cage.
This equipment is used for many exercises such as deadlifts, squats and different bench presses. Moreover, a power rack is essential when you do not have a spotter and require additional safety, like through pin pipes.
To know more about a power rack, read the benefits below.
Benefits of Using a Power Rack
Here’s why most expert trainers recommend power racks over squat ones:
- As mentioned earlier, a power rack has many fantastic safety features. With catch bars and a broad base, you can use one without a spotter. Besides, since most power racks have high weight capacity, you can use one for many loads.
- While a power rack may not be suitable for training and frequent re-racking, many athletes use one and adjust it according to the demand of their workouts.
- A power rack is more expensive than a squat rack. But that being said, the extra cost is of the safety features and extra metal that you won’t find in the latter. So, if your budget allows, getting a power rack will make a significant investment.
However, unlike squat racks, a power rack requires much more space. Since it is pretty big in size, you will have to ensure that you have enough room in your garage or even your house to accommodate this equipment.
Squat Rack Vs. Power Rack- Which Is Better?
Now that you know their differences, which one do you think is made for you? While this depends from person to person, you can always match the differences with your requirements and make a choice.
For instance, if you are a beginner with limited space and budget, purchase a squat rack. However, if you own enough space and have sufficient money in your bank account, choosing a power rack will be safe. It will help you with your performance and will also encourage you to lift more weight.
We hope this article has helped you pick a choice. Just remember that no rack is good or bad. While the squat rack is ideal for beginners, a power rack has many fantastic safety features.
You can always start your fitness journey by using a squat rack. Once you are trained enough, you can shift to a power rack and achieve all your goals.