When it comes to buying a luxury watch, the most common name that comes to minds is Rolex. With a robust reputation as one of the best watch brands in the industry, Rolex watches are also known for making a good investment. Why? Well, there’s a simple reason, Rolex models retain and sometimes even appreciate in value.
For every Rolex owner, there may come a time to sell. And when you’re selling such a valuable item you want the best deal possible. Getting this done could prove to be a challenging task. So, here are some tips, to help you out with selling your expensive watch.
How to sell your Rolex watch?
Before you enter the process of selling your watch, there are a few things that you should consider to secure the best deal.
1. Find the watch’s reference number
If you have all the paperwork for your Rolex watch, you can find the reference number in the papers. If you don’t have the paperwork, you should check out the watch case. You can do that by removing the watch bracelet and looking between the lugs.
2. Get the serial number
If you don’t have the papers, then the serial number could be found on the bracelet of your watch. But where exactly depends on when the watch was manufactured. For example, before 2005, the number can be found printed in between the lugs. In the case of post-2005, you need to check the rehaut.
3. Find the original box and papers
Take your time and search for the original watch papers and box. Well, you can sell your watch without these things, but you could get a better price by offering the original packaging, too. It should include warranties, manuals, receipt, and everything you received at the time of purchase. Providing all that will help you prove the authenticity of the watch.
4. Find the value of your Rolex watch
If you have the original receipt, then you are lucky. Showing it to the buyers will give them an idea about how much you have paid for the model. This can also prevent the buyers from lowballing you. If you don’t have it you could do some additional research to establish what are the current prices of the model you possess.
If you have any repair or maintenance receipts, show them to the buyers. This will prove the watch was taken care of properly and it’s in great condition.
5. Don’t forget to take some photos
When you are selling something costly like your Rolex, it is essential to have some good quality, high-resolution, and clear images of the product. Go and take some pictures of the back and front sides of your watch. Make sure to photograph it from different angles and there’s enough light in the room. You can also take pictures of all of the papers. By analyzing the photos, the buyer can quickly ascertain the current condition and come up with a better value.
6. Try your best to find a reputable buyer for your watch
To secure a good deal, you need to find a solid buyer for your valuable item. You can consider a few different options here and all have their pros and cons:
- Online auction sites – the main benefit here, you’re likely to be dealing directly with the person who will use the watch. However, selling your watch on an eBay auction could be a lengthy process that could drag on for months and with no success guarantee.
- Sites like Craigslist in the US or Gumtree in the UK – again you could avoid dealing with any middle man by posting an ad online, but meeting a stranger with a costly watch in your pocket is not always a great idea.
- Pawnshops – sometimes might not have the required expertise or enough cash on hand, so you may not get the best deal. On the positive side, you might be able to sell your watch in your local area and without too much hassle.
- Professional watch dealers – they would usually have all the required expertise to authenticate and appraise your watch. Also, enough cash available to pay you quickly.
Rolex watches are a valuable possession. Do your research to ensure you get a good deal and aren’t scammed out of your money. When choosing a buyer always consider factors like reputation, physical location, customer ratings and reviews. This should give you a good idea if they are reliable and could be trusted. Consider all those things, and you can quickly sell your used Rolex watch at a better price.