One of the most innovative and variable professions in the textile industry is fashion styling. This profile is a fundamental figure in the audiovisual field, as it is quite requested for fashion shows, events, films, photoshoots, television programs, catalogues, online stores, among others.
There are so many universities in the world where you can study fashion. You will write essays on the history of fashion and various research papers, thereby delving deeper into the world of fashion. If you are also taking an internship, contact write my essay service to get everything done in time.
If you are passionate about this profession and would like to train to become an expert in this area, in this post we offer you all the necessary guidance to develop those functions and skills to stand out from the rest. Likewise, you will learn all the secrets needed to become a fashion expert and professional stylist. Take advantage of this great opportunity! Here we will tell you how.
What is fashion styling?
In the world of modelling, celebrities, or people with a certain image, the stylist is in charge of coordinating the clothes and dressing the models, taking care of the objective or creative requirements of each project to be carried out. In the artistic context, such as fashion editorials, television series, or video clips, their function is to establish a concept, creating a character based on a visual perspective that meets the requirements of the artistic director.
As for commercial projects, their purpose is the creation of catalogues or photos for e-commerce, here the stylist will have to make the most of the wardrobe and bring out all his skills in creating outfits and compositions that will appeal to the potential customer to make a sale. As for personal stylists, they work directly with the client, assisting and collaborating with them in the construction of their image. They can also work in different areas, such as in key events, creating red carpet looks, or providing their services to people who wish to improve their image daily.
What basic qualities should a fashion stylist have?
When it comes to fashion styling, there are several functions that the professional can develop and different specific skills depending on the field or sector to which it will be applied. Here are a series of characteristics that will help with the performance of this profession.
- Interest in fashion. A stylist must stand out for combining attractive looks with the wardrobe to best reflect the client’s personality. Generally, an early study of fashion history is usually done so that professionals can draw up a retrospective based on the evolution of the sector over the years and predict future trends.
- Knowing and managing colours and volumes. The stylist has to delve into the issues of colour psychology to improve the quality of their work. In this way, he/she will be able to manage shapes, textures, colours and determine the figure of his/her clients to create the most appropriate wardrobe for them.
- Understand trends and differentiate them from personal taste. Every stylist must exploit his creativity to the maximum, get the best out of his models and the garments he works with. That is why he/she must open his/her mind when it comes to creating updated and modern designs that go beyond personal taste, focusing on the client’s or director’s idea.
What jobs can a fashion stylist do?
As we have already explained, the fashion styling profession is very broad and can fit a multitude of different applications. Some of the most well-known functions are the following:
- Styling for audiovisual media: fashion photography, film, and television. This field is considered the most artistic as it delves into the issue of photogenic colours and fabrics, plus the work is done under the ambience of the space with the camera and lighting with studio lights that will make the difference in the final work. This work is done under the art direction, of the scriptwriter or the director. The concept that is being used must be studied to make combinations of clothes or accessories that favour the project.
- Styling for catalogues and e-commerce. This medium is the most demanding nowadays since brands and production companies are increasingly requesting stylists who know about online commerce. Here the brands usually choose the clothes they want to photograph and include in the catalogue, so you must have a great capacity of understanding to work according to the corresponding guidelines. You will also develop the ability to assist models with poses, adding interesting details to each garment. This position entails maximizing productivity and agility to keep all sessions organized.
- Personal stylist. In this position, the stylist must adapt to the client’s needs, helping to feel better with his physical appearance, listening to and knowing the client’s tastes to recommend the clothes that best suit, also giving all kinds of advice so that the customer can choose the clothes, colours, shapes, and others. Empathy is a very important aspect since we can interpret the client’s signals or gestures helping him/her to achieve the image he/she wants and the most appropriate style for each occasion.
5 Steps to Becoming a Fashion Stylist
Follow the steps below to get the job of your dream.
Enrol in a fashion institute or school. Search for schools near you on the Internet or in a local directory.
Take courses in fashion design and merchandising. This will help you learn the basics of fashion, which is extremely important for a stylist.
Take an apprenticeship class with a professional fashion stylist or at a store or department store. An apprenticeship class should last one to two years. You will gain a lot of experience to complement your fashion education.
You’ll need to keep up with the latest fashion trends and the most popular styles. Your clients will expect you to know the latest trends in the fashion world. Read fashion magazines and forums to find out what’s new.
You can hire an assistant or accountant to help you with your business. As you become more experienced and have more clients, you will become busier and it may become difficult to keep track of clients and appointments. You will also have to do various administrative tasks such as billing. You can learn a lot by doing it yourself but it’s probably best to hire someone to help you.
As a result, fashion styling is one of the most creative and dynamic professions in the textile industry, which favours the development of your professional career in a versatile and multicultural way. If you are passionate about fashion, design, and art, here you will be able to develop all the necessary skills to apply in the field of work that most appeals to you.