At the start of a new relationship, most couples show the best sides of themselves. They may open doors for you, pretend they are fine when you go out with your friends, and be supportive of all your crazy ideas. The actual test is time.
1. Similar Values
Do you and your partner share the same core values?
- Trust is the most critical aspect of a relationship. Mutual trust is believing that you want the best for one another. You are confident that your partner will not purposely hurt you. Trust is what love is built on, and without it, there cannot be love.
- Respect is one of the building blocks to trust. When you respect one another, you have better communication. When there is an argument, instead of lashing out in anger, respect helps you understand the other person’s viewpoint. This does not mean that there will never be yelling or neither party will say something they may regret but respecting each other enough to communicate your feelings to one another will go a very long way.
- Commitment is vital in a relationship. Commitment is more than saying you want to spend the rest of your life with someone; it is showing them too. Be there when they need you. Actively listen to them when they talk and show you are interested in what they are saying. Commitment, like respect, is one of the ways you can build trust in the relationship.
2. You Can Depend on One Another
When something goes wrong, and you call your partner, there is no doubt in your mind that they will be there for you. It would be nice to think that your relationship and life will always be smooth sailing, but this never happens. Life is full of ups and downs, and having someone hold your hand through it all is priceless.
3. You Can Have Fun Together
Whether you are sitting at home playing games or out on the town, being able to laugh and enjoy one another’s company is critical in a relationship. Playing games helps partners build teamwork and see how they behave if they lose. Losing at games can indicate how they will behave when things do not go their way.
Games are not the only way to incorporate fun into your relationship. The two of you may choose to play active games such as frisbee, tennis, volleyball, or hiking. The most important thing is to continue having fun. Fun is one of the keys to a long-lasting relationship.
4. Know Each Other’s Strengths and Flaws
We all have strengths, flaws, and annoying habits; even if you try to hide them, they will come out sooner or later. Once the flaw is discovered, discuss it with one another. Something to note is you have to be ready to admit your faults as well. It is crucial that while discussing each other’s weaknesses, strengths are pointed out.
Many times your partner’s weakness will be one of your strengths, and this balances things out. Maybe you tend to waste money, and your partner is the one who likes to save. One way to balance this is to create a budget where you have money to spend, but it is limited.
5. You Are Both Ready to Take the Next Step
You have learned a lot about each other during your time and experiences together and have decided it is time to take the next step. You have started having discussions about getting married and have even thought about browsing custom engagement ring options. This is a sign that both of you are in a long-term relationship and are looking to build a future together.
Marriage is hard no matter how much you love each other. But there are ways to make it a little easier by trusting one another, having fun together, and knowing you are committed to the relationship. Take the time to be open about yourself and your expectations; it will make it much easier in the long run.