The kaftan is a classic, easy, breezy, simple ensemble that has been worn and loved by many cultures all over the world. The way the fashion industry comes and goes and changes with a snap of your finger, styles you never thought would be a hit could easily become a style that is in demand overnight. Case in point, the kaftan.
An Ensemble to Be Enjoyed by Both Sexes
The beauty of the kaftan lies in its simplicity and versatility. Not only is a kaftan able to be worn by women, but men get to enjoy this. Why people love a good kaftan is because of how this cotton, breathable fabric keeps you warm and cool in the summer. Kaftans are especially popular in Middle Eastern countries where the temperatures can be scorching. The shin-skimming one piece is the ideal garment to keep the people in the hotter part of the world nice, comfortable, and cool. The simple yet elegant style (depending on the design you choose) means that the kaftan can easily go from day to night.
Thanks to the fashion industry, the kaftan has now become a popular garment in many parts of the world. It is definitely a piece for the fashion-forward, and the secret to pulling off the kaftan is knowing how to style it just right.
What Is A Kaftan?
A kaftan is a word that describes an ankle-length, long, and flowing garment that can be worn by men, women, and even children. Here is an interesting fact: Did you know the kaftan could also be spelt as caftan? A kaftan can come in both short and long sleeve variations, depending on your preference and what you want to use it for. Shorter-sleeved kaftans are usually worn as beach or poolside attire while the longer kaftans can be used as everyday wear or an outfit for special occasions.
Kaftans can be made of either cotton or silk. Cotton kaftans are usually the more popular option since they are better suited for daily wear. The silk kaftans are more popularly used for special occasions. A kaftan could be worn on its own or with a sash or belt to be tied around the waist if you are looking to add an extra flair to your attire.
Some men’s kaftans look like long, buttoned-up robes. In some countries in the Middle East, the assortment of kaftans available for men is absolutely amazing. With luxurious fabrics and beautiful designs, you won’t feel out of place at all wearing one of these to a wedding or any other special occasion. Did you know that the Ottoman Sultans to Turkey considered it a privilege to wear a kaftan? They believed that only those who held a high position in society wore such attire. These days, a kaftan is worn by everyday people because of how comfortable it is to wear and how easy it is to style.
How to Choose the Right Kaftan for You
Men love looking good and feeling good about themselves just as much as women do, and why shouldn’t they? After all, fashion is for anyone with a passion and if you’re eager to get in on the kaftan fashion scene, here is a guide to help you choose the perfect kaftan for you:
- Consider the Length of the Garment – Some men are taller than others and although a kaftan is a versatile piece, it’s not exactly a one-size-fits-all solution. A kaftan today comes in several different lengths and designs, evolving because of the fashion industry and trends. Before you purchase your kaftan, consider the length that you would prefer. Would you prefer something that was ankle-length or a little shorter? Take a look at some of the summer kaftans from Kafto for some inspiration if you’re having a tough time choosing between two kaftans.
- Consider the Material You Want – The material that you go for will be determined by what you intend to use the kaftan for. If you plan on wearing your kaftan as something you use daily or something you plan on using for your next holiday, opt for a cotton kaftan. Cotton materials are lightweight and easy to carry around, and the material is breathable. This is going to come in handy during those hot summer days when you don’t want to wear too many layers. Your kaftan is going to be made of fancier material like silk if you plan on wearing your kaftan for something special. In some countries, for example, kaftans are worn by men to weddings and this means you’ll see a lot of men walking around with very fancy and elegant looking kaftans.
- Consider the Shoes You Are Going to Wear – If you want to pull off any outfit, you need to bring it all together. This includes everything you wear, from your top to your jeans and shoes. In the case of the kaftan, it’s no different. The right pair of shoes will tie your outfit all together. With the right pair of shoes, you’ll look dapper and very well put together. When selecting the kaftan of your choice, think about the shoes you intend to wear. You would probably have some idea of where and when you intend to wear your kaftan and once you know the shoes you’re going to wear, it makes it easier to narrow your kaftan selection to match your shoes.
- Consider the Accessories You Are Going to Wear – True, men don’t have as many accessories as women do, but it is the little details that bring your entire ensemble together. The right watch or perhaps a ring or two is going to take your kaftan attire to a whole new level. It can be amazing what a simple piece of accessory can do to emphasize an outfit, but the secret is to choose an accessory that goes well together with your kaftan. Before you head out there and purchase your kaftan, look at the accessories you have on hand at home. This will give you a better idea of what type of kaftan to go for to match your accessories.
- Go Wild and Get a wig with the Kaftan – The kaftan outfit makes for wild combinations why not choose a brown-coloured wig to spice it all up?